How DAISI Assists the Seniors Community

DAISI takes a strengths based approach to building the capacity of senior community members and the provider organisations that service them. The way services are being provided to the senior community and how these are funded is undergoing fundamental change with the transition from block program funding to service organisations to Consumer Directed Care Packages (CDC).  DAISI is working closely with community aged care service providers and local governments to engage with and contribute to this process. Our aim in this work is for the new system to support best practice responses to the needs of the senior community, promoting the independence and wellness of all its members.

We do this through:

  • participation in consultative working groups, access steering committees, various forums, communities of practice and interagency networks
  • providing a Freecall information and referral hotline for service providers and community members
  • providing communication platforms that support the sharing and exchange of information, knowledge and expertise. These include regular online news feeds by email and via our website, the development and distribution of hardcopy and electronic information packs, social media and face-to-face community and provider events and consultations.

To speak with a DAISI staff member and find out more call 1800 800 340. To access information packs, visit our Useful Information page.

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions - Seniors

Call My Aged Care to find out what supports you could be entitled to. My Aged Care is an Australian Government Initiative to help people navigate the aged care system. My Aged Care is part of the Australian Government’s changes to the aged care system which have been designed to give people more choice, more control and easier access to a full range of aged care services.

Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or visit the website for more information

There are many services to help people in financial stress. To view some organisations that may be able to assist you please download our Factsheets on Financial and Income Support in our Useful Information section of this website.

There is income support in the form of the Centrelink Age Pension.

There is also support in the form of Financial Counselling.

The Northern Rivers NILS Program can assist low income earners in purchasing essential household appliances by offering a no interest loan of up to $1200.

To find out more please contact: 1800 509 994

Community Transport organisations can assist people who need help to travel to medical appointments. To find out more please download Community Transport Factsheet from our website.

The following organisations can also assist:

Housing NSW provides assistance in NSW under the Housing Pathways. Assistance is delivered by Housing NSW and participating community housing providers, referred to together as social housing providers.

Customers can apply for social housing assistance from any participating housing provider by using a single application form. Applications for housing assistance can be lodged in person, by mail or over the phone (temporary accommodation or Rentstart only)

Call Housing NSW on 1800 422 322

Alternatively you could call North Coast Community Housing (NCCH) to discuss options.

The North Coast Community Housing Company Ltd (NCCH) is a not-for-profit company managing long-term social and affordable housing for people with special needs and residents with low and moderate incomes in the far North Coast region of New South Wales in Australia.

Call NCCH on (02) 6627 5300

There are other services who also assist with housing and emergency accommodation.  Please download our Factsheet Housing and Financial Support in our Useful Information section of this website.

If you are frail aged, have a disability, or care for an aged person or an adult or child with a disability, your local Home Modifications Service may be able to help you carry out work on your home to make it more accessible.

To find your local Home Modifications service visit

The Northern Rivers Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service advises and advocates for tenants from Tweed Heads to Red Rock (between Grafton and Coffs Harbour). It is a free service providing information and advice to all tenants, including private, Department of Housing and Caravan Park residents. 

Freecall: 1800 649 135

The first step is to call My Aged Care as an aged care facility might not be the best option. The My Aged Care website has been established by the Australian Government to help you navigate the aged care system.  

To visit the My Aged Care website for more information click here.

Call the My Aged Care hotline on 1800 200 422.

The Australian Government has produced a booklet called Five Steps to Entry into an Aged Care Home. This booklet aims to help older people, families and carers understand the process for moving into an aged care home.

It outlines five steps to follow and what to do at each step. The five steps are:

  1. Assessing eligibility
  2. Finding an aged care home
  3. Fees and charges
  4. Applying to an aged care home
  5. Living in an aged care home. is an online holiday portal designed to help you plan holidays in Australia with a diverse range of holiday accommodation. The stayz website has the ability to search for holiday accommodation by accessibility click here.

Please note that before booking a holiday it is always best to call the hotel/resort to make sure that the accommodation is acceptable to your needs.


Links to Other Key Organisations

My Aged Care

The Australian Government’s My Aged Care phone line and website can help you find out what aged care services may be available and help you access them. This includes assistance with:

You can call the My Aged Care contact centre on 1800 200 422:

  • Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm
  • Saturdays 10am - 2pm
  • Sundays and national public holidays CLOSED

NSW elder abuse helpline and resource unit

The NSW elder abuse helpline and resource unit offer a free service that provides information, support and referrals relating to the abuse of older people living in the community across NSW. We place the safety of the older person first. Our service is confidential and callers remain anonymous.

We encourage individuals, concerned friends, family members, neighbours and support workers to call 1800 628 221 if they suspect elder abuse is occurring. Anyone can make the call.

If you require an interpreter, first call 131 450 and tell the operator your preferred language.

The NSW Elder Abuse Helpline & Resource Unit is auspiced by the NSW State Government (the Department of Family and Community Services) and operated by Catholic Healthcare Limited.

Seniors Rights Service

Seniors Rights Service is a community legal centre that protects the rights of older people. We provide telephone advice, advocacy, legal advice and educational services.

You can contact Seniors Rights Service by phone, email or Skype. All calls are confidential and your privacy will be protected.

Freecall: 1800 424 079 Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm 
Office and postal address:
Level 4, 418A Elizabeth St, Surry Hills NSW 2010
Email address:

Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN)

The Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN) is a national network comprised of nine state and territory organisations that have been successfully delivering advocacy, information and education services to older people in metropolitan, regional, rural and remote Australia for over 25 years.

Older Persons Advocacy Network’s free services support older people and their representatives to address issues related to Commonwealth funded aged care services. Older Persons Advocacy Network is funded by the Australian Government’s National Aged Care Advocacy Program (NACAP) and aims to provide a national voice for aged care advocacy and promote excellence and national consistency in the delivery of advocacy services under the Program.

Older Persons Advocacy Network organisations can assist with a range of free AdvocacyInformation and Education services. 

Freecall: 1800 700 600 Monday to Friday 9.30-4.30pm Monday to Friday.
Free Call: Your call will be answered in each state by the Older Persons Advocacy Network organisation in your state/territory.

If you have a hearing impairment and would like assistance calling DAISI or the organisations above, contact the National Relay Service Helpdesk on 1800 555 660. TTY users call 13 36 77. If you need help with language translation help, contact Interpreter Service (TIS) 13 14 50.