Person with Disability

How DAISI Assists People with Disabilities, their Carers and Families

DAISI is an independent not-for-profit charity that helps people with disability build their capacity to access opportunities within their communities. Since 1992 DAISI has assisted people in understanding their options, rights and responsibilities to make informed decisions.

The way government is providing disability support is changing dramatically with the introduction of the new National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). The NDIS replaces support that has been provided by NSW Disability Services. It is gradually being rolled out around Australia and is now available across NSW, including the Far North Coast region.

DAISI Services Limited is a registered NDIS provider and can help with information, NDIS funded or fee-for-service assistance. For more information about how DAISI can assist in this area and useful links to other NDIS related sites, refer to the NDIS section of this website. More details about how DAISI can help at specific stages of this journey are included in each of our NDIS Information packages. Further general information, including about mainstream supports, can be found in the DAISI Factsheet available in the Useful Information section. Call us to find out more: DAISI Freecall 1800 800 340.

Disability Symbols

The following disability symbols and definitions are internationally recognised.

Audio Description for TV, Video and Film Symbol

This service makes television, video, and film more accessible for persons who are blind or have low vision. Description of visual elements is provided by a trained Audio Describer through the Secondary Audio Program (SAP) of televisions and monitors equipped with stereo sound. You can find out more here


Live Audio Description Symbol

A service for people who are blind or have low vision that makes the performing and visual arts more accessible. A trained Audio Describer offers live commentary or narration (via headphones and a small transmitter) consisting of concise, objective descriptions of visual elements: for example, a theatre performance or a visual arts exhibition at a museum. You can find out more here.


Braille Symbol

This symbol indicates that printed matter is available in Braille, including exhibition labelling, publications and signage.


Closed Captioning (CC) Symbol

Captioning television programs allows the soundtrack of a television broadcast to be displayed as text on the screen to assist deaf and hard-of-hearing viewers. There are two types of captioning: closed and open. ‘Closed’ captioning is hidden from the normal TV picture and requires a Teletext decoder to view. ‘Open’ captions are not hidden from the normal picture, and cannot be turned off. They appear on videos and television pictures for items such as a translation of a foreign language film.


Assistive Listening Systems Symbol

These systems transmit sound via hearing aids or headsets. They include infrared, loop and FM systems. Portable systems may be available from the same audio-visual equipment suppliers that service conferences and meetings.


Accessible Print Symbol

The symbol for large print is 'Large Print' printed in 18 Point or larger text. In addition to indicating that large print versions of books, pamphlets, museum guides and theatre programs are available, you may use the symbol on conference or membership forms to indicate that print materials may be provided in large print. Sans serif or modified serif print with good contrast is highly recommended, and special attention should be paid to letter and word spacing.


Volume Control Telephone Symbol

This symbol indicates the location of telephones that have handsets with amplified sound and/or adjustable volume controls. 


The Information Symbol

The most valuable commodity of today's society is information; to a person with a disability it is essential. For example, the symbol may be used on signage or on a floor plan to indicate the location of the information or security desk, where there is more specific information or materials concerning access accommodations and services such as "LARGE PRINT" materials, audio cassette recordings of materials, or sign interpreted tours.


Sign Language Interpretation Symbol

The symbol indicates that Sign Language Interpretation is provided for a lecture, tour, performance, conference or other program.


Telephone Typewriter (TTY) Symbol

Also known as text telephone (TT), or telecommunications device for the deaf (TDD), TTY indicates a telephone device used with the telephone (and the phone number) for communication between deaf, hard of hearing, speech-impaired and/or hearing persons.


Access to Low Vision Symbol

This symbol may be used to indicate access for people who are blind or have low vision, including: a guided tour, a path to a nature trail or a scent garden in a park; and a tactile tour or a museum exhibition that may be touched.


Accessibility Symbol

The wheelchair symbol should only be used to indicate access for individuals with limited mobility, including wheelchair users. For example, the symbol is used to indicate an accessible entrance, bathroom or that a phone is lowered for wheelchair users. Remember that a ramped entrance is not completely accessible if there are no curb cuts, and an elevator is not accessible if it can only be reached via steps.


Answers to Frequently Asked Questions - Disabilities

If you need support around your home because of a disability. Please call the National Disability Insurance Scheme on 1800 800 110 or visit the NDIS website at

DAISI is also able to assist on local supports available to you. Please call DAISI on 1800 800 340

There are many services to help people in financial stress. To view some organisations that may be able to assist you please download our Factsheets on Financial and Income Support in our Useful Information section of this website.

There is income support from Centrelink in the form of a:

  • Disability Support Pension which provides financial support to people who have a physical, intellectual, or psychiatric condition that stops them from working or who are permanently blind.
  • Carer Payment which provides financial support if you are unable to work in substantial paid employment because you are providing full-time daily care to someone with a severe disability or medical condition, or to someone who is frail aged
  • Carer Allowance which is a supplementary payment for parents or carers who provide additional daily care to an adult or dependent child who has a disability or medical condition or is frail aged.

There is also support in the form of Financial Counselling.

When working with a Local Area Coordinator or an NDIA Planner you will be able to ask for equipment as part of your NDIS plan. Call the NDIS on 1800 800 110 for more information.

Note: For areas where the NDIS hasn’t rolled out please contact Enable NSW

The Northern Rivers NILS Program can assist low income earners in purchasing essential household appliances by offering a no interest loan of up to $1200.

To find out more please contact: 1800 509 994

Community Transport organisations can assist people who need help to travel to medical appointments. To find out more please download the DAISI Community Transport Factsheet in our Useful Information section of this website.

The following organisations can also assist:

There is assistance available for people who have to travel from rural and remote areas to gain assistance from a specialist. The Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance Scheme can provide assistance in travel and accommodation costs to eligible people.

For more information, please call 1800 478 227

The Taxi Transport Subsidy Scheme (TTSS) provides support for NSW residents who are unable to use public transport because of a disability. The subsidy covers 50 per cent of the total fare with a maximum subsidy of $60 per journey and is claimed using travel dockets.

For more information, please visit their website or call 1800 623 724.

Assisted School Travel Program aims to assist eligible students with disability who are unable to travel to and from school under the Transport for NSW's School Student Transport Scheme and you may be eligible for transport assistance under the Department of Education Assisted School Travel Program (ASTP).

The ASTP plays a significant role in meeting the needs of eligible students with disability by providing free specialised transport to and from school where parents and carers are unable to provide or arrange transport for the student, either fully or in part.

For more information, contact Department of Education on1300 679 332 and ask to talk to someone about the Assisted School Travel Program.

Talk to your NDIS Planner or Local Area Coordinator about installing modifications or any other changes that need to be made around your home.

For further information call the National Disability Insurance Scheme on 1800 800 110 or visit

You can also talk to a local home modifications service by visiting Home Modifications Australia to search for a local provider at

There are number of employment agencies in our region that deliver a Disability Employment Program.

The Disability Employment Program is a specialised employment program aimed at assisting people with disabilities to seek and maintain open paid employment.

For more options of Disability Employment Service providers click here.

Northern Rivers Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service provides free, independent information, advice, advocacy and referrals to tenants in the Northern Rivers of NSW. It provides advice to eligible tenants including caravan park residents. They prioritise private tenants/caravan park residents facing termination, all social housing tenants, and tenants with complex needs.

Freecall: 1800 649 135 is an online holiday portal designed to help you plan holidays in Australia with a diverse range of holiday accommodation. The stayz website has the ability to search for holiday accommodation by accessibility click here.

Please note that before booking a holiday it is always best to call the hotel/resort to make sure that the accommodation is acceptable to your needs.

Leisure Options is a provider of supported holidays for individuals with special needs. Leisure Options specialise in providing local, national and international disability travel and holidays for people with physical and intellectual disabilities, acquired brain injury, anyone requiring travel.

Ozmates Travel provides supported holidays for passengers with special needs, acquired brain injury and physical disability. There are 3 possible ways of planning a holiday: booking on to one of their existing holidays published on the Ozmates website and in from the Ozmates brochure, creating an individual holiday, or creating a holiday for a group.

Infoxchange has a list of organisations that provide supported holidays.

Aspire Supported Holidays offer fully supported and escorted holidays for people with an intellectual disability, mobility challenges, mental health, guests in wheelchairs or acquired brain injuries, elderly and or frail guests and families who require respite care.

Get in touch: 1300 338 817

There are a number of paths that can be taken to find a resolution to a complaint or a dispute. There are also many factors that need to be taken into account. The method in which a resolution is sorted will be defined by the type of complaint or dispute. The process to find resolutions to conflicts can be difficult but fortunately there are agencies that can help you by working on your behalf as an advocate.

Ability Advocacy is funded to advocate and support people with disabilities their families and carers. The service is FREE to consumers. A person can access the service if they have a disability that has an; acquired brain injury, sensory, or physical impairment, or a combination of such, and is permanent or likely to be permanent and the person must have a need for ongoing support services.

Contact: 1800 657 961

To find out if you are eligible you can call the NDIA on 1800 800 110 or go to the NDIS Access checklist.

For more information about eligibility and pathways for accessing the NDIS download DAISI’s Am I Eligible NDIS Information Package and visit the NDIS section of this website.


Links to Other Key Organisations

National Disability Insurance Scheme

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is the government’s new way of providing support for Australians with disability, their families and carers. It is focused on providing Australians under the age of 65 with a permanent and significant disability with the reasonable and necessary supports they need to live an ordinary life.

Freecall 1800 800 110.

Women With Disabilities Australia

Women With Disabilities Australia (WWDA) is the peak organisation for women with all types of disabilities in Australia. WWDA is run by women with disabilities, for women with disabilities.

Phone: 0438 535 123 or 

Centrelink – People with disability

Centrelink, is a Department of Human Services  program of the Australian Government. It delivers a range of government payments and services.

Phone: 132 717

Ability Advocacy

Ability Advocacy provides support, information and training to help people with disability to exercise their rights and to understand their responsibilities.

Phone (02) 6628 8188 or Freecall 1800 657 961.

Commonwealth Respite & Carelink Centre - Far North Coast

The Commonwealth Respite & Carelink Centres have been providing support to carers since 1997 as part of the National Respite for Carers Program.

Freecall 1800 052 222


My Choice Matters

My Choice Matters is a project of Council of Intellectual Disability to help people get prepared for the changes to the disability support system.

Phone (02) 9211 2605 or Freecall1800 144 653 or email

Ability Linkers

Ability Linkers connect people with disability, their families and carers in the community.